Friday, March 20, 2009


The pictures today are mine, and actually coincide with yesterday's activity.


Yesterday started out with a return visit to the Alien Services office. We had to turn in our temporary resident alien permits and receive our permanent seals, placed into our passports. We had arranged to meet Wilf and Mary Jo at the office to go through the process together. It's a bit intimidating when you don't speak the language. We were told to go to one office, had things punched into a computer, given an additional form and told to go to another office. That place had a line out the door but we were told to show our forms and enter, which we did. A woman took our forms and told us "wait here." Later our names were called, they looked at us (to see we matched our pictures) and gave us back our papers, told us to go down the street to make a photocopy and return to the window. When we returned, they put the stickers in the passports and we were finished. Total time was only about 30 minutes, but very interesting. A man from Pakistan who was sitting next to me told me we were treated with respect because we spoke English, and that others are not treated as well. No idea whether it's true, but that was his perception.


The building above is the National Library, which we walked by. Near the university.


The four of us headed off to a lunch place that had been recommended to Wilf and Mary Jo. It was called "Eat It," and everything is made fresh daily (sandwiches, salads, etc). Whatever is unsold at the end of the day is donated to a local soup kitchen.


We were to meet Jim and Sharon in the main square to head back home. In the square we found a number of tents and tables set up and signs saying "Remember Gaza." Given the US position in the middle-east, we thought it best to keep a low profile and not be recognized as Americans.


I'm not even sure if I've posted a picture of Jim and Sharon yet. Taken on the tram.


After a requisite rest period, Kim, Sharon and I headed for the marina. The museum was closed but from outside the fence I was able to take a picture of the trireme. My friend Jim (not the one visiting - the Classicist from Ball State) told me about the boat before I saw it. This is an accurate full-size replica of what they believe was built about 480 BC. It's rather amazing for several reasons and I encourage you to click the link if you're interested. We noted the hours and Kim and I plan to return, at which time I'll provide more pictures with detail.


The trireme is the naval miracle of antiquity, but the marina had the yachts that amaze me. To say those boats cost more than my house is an understatement. It probably costs more to operate one of those boats for a year than the cost of my house. They have to each have crews of 4 or more. I saw one that had a lifeboat with a 150 HP Mercury outboard motor. That's more boat than we ever had going skiing in Florida, and they use it for a lifeboat! This time we seemed to happen on a lot more boats of British registry: not sure whether it's because it's a month later, or we were walking in the "UK Neighborhood" of the marina, or what.


Once the sun set and we had no more picture opportunities we headed back to the apartment to meet Jim and head out to dinner. Last month I had been told about a Lebanese restaurant that Kim and I had yet to visit. Sharon was excited at the prospect so we decided to go. We knew it was south of us, not far from a tram stop, and we had an address. Fortunately Jim and Sharon had brought their GPS, so we were able to use it to find the place. When we arrived shortly after 8, the place had just open for dinner so we were the first ones, but by the time we left there were several other diners. Kim, Sharon and I shared filafel (sp?), grilled chicken, lamb, beef and pork while Jim just sat and drank water (he doesn't eat much from what he knows and is comfortable with). We enjoyed it and left quite full.



No comments: