Tuesday, March 10, 2009



Once again, today's pictures bear no relationship to the commentary. I didn't take any pictures today but have a bunch from our Delphi trip, so the pix are a continuation from yesterday.


We had a leisurely morning, then Kim and Nicole hopped the tram to go to the Acropolis. Before going they called to make sure it was open. Workers there have been very upset and have staged strikes over the past few weeks, shutting down the site to tourists. When Kim called they told her it was open today, but that there would be a strike tomorrow. I stayed home and worked some before heading down to the Fulbright office.





Unfortunately, our maintenance check was not available. There is some issue with switching banks, so it's going to be delayed. It's fortunate we're not broke or we'd have a problem. Actually, the financial officer said that if we had a hardship situation she'd work something out. Thank goodness, it hasn't come to that.





I met up with Kim and Nicole and we looked for a place to eat (about 2 p.m.). Even without anyone else, we're still eating a late lunch. They then sought out the tourist bus (you know, the open-air ones that drive around town and provide commentary) while I headed back to the apartment. I had documentary class at 6 p.m. I soloed - it was just me and the students for the whole two hours. We started with 10 and finished with 8 (two left again at the break). I sure have a good time in class. The class is all seniors and they participate pretty well, though about half of them do most of the talking - typical. I also noticed one other bit of typical behavior: I saw someone roll his eyes when one of the more vocal students volunteered some bit of information. It's a behavior I've seen many times before with American students. We're all a lot alike.





Today's news item: It's news here that Obama will go to Turkey but not to Greece. It's more than just jealousy: it's concern about status of one country versus another.





When I got home from class Kim and Nicole were already back - now watching The Mask on TV.
This is in the Delphi Archaeological museum - looks Egyptian, doesn't it?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I must say that I am on the same side as your president.

Until Greece formally recognizes the Ex-Yugoslav republic of Macedonia under it's official, legal and othervise valid name (i.e. Republic of Macedonia) AND admits that there is no such thing as Greek coffe (ahahahahah! makes me laugh as well the rest of the 25 million population of the ) we'll be going Turkey as well :)))

Anonymous said...

word Balkans is missing in my comment - the 25 million population of the Balkans is what I meant ;)

Dom said...

Your comment made me chuckle. I THOUGHT Greek coffee tasted an awful lot like Turkish coffee ;)