Friday, February 06, 2009

Kim and Martha went to the Friday farmer's market this morning, so I worked at home. When they got home, Martha said Kim had been a big hit in the market. She mispronounced something and a Crete made a rhyme out of it (Martha tell us that's something they do).

I'm a little frustrated with the Internet connection. We're paying a lot (50 Euros) for wireless access and sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

Martha and Mark took us just a short way down the coast to a place they sometimes go for coffee and a walk along the shore. The forecast had been for nice weather but it clouded up. They were very disappointed, as they said the scenery is far better when the weather is nice (Kim and I thought it was pretty just the same). We sat for a while enjoying the scenery then went for a stroll. Our timing was perfect. Just as we were getting into the car after our walk, the rain started.

We managed to figure out the washing machine (with a little help from Martha) and did our first Greek laundry. I know - pretty exciting, huh? But actually, the point I always make to students about good study abroad programs is that you actually live overseas rather than just visit a country like a tourist (like some others).
Another episode in living overseas was the visit today by the plumber. The toilet kept running so he came over. He also checked a minor leak in the kitchen. The bill was only 20 Euros. In Muncie it's over $60 just to get him to come to the house - whatever time he spends is extra. Martha explained that it's because he's the neighborhood guy and they've used him for years. I still can't imagine an American plumber who may have worked decades for someone changing so little.

No comments: