Friday, February 08, 2008

I'm falling a little behind in updating all that goes on.

When Ilija and Dragana were here last weekend, one of the things Dragana did was to make burek. It's one of my favorites. As you can see from this Wikipedia explanation, there are many forms made throughout the former Ottoman Empire. Dragana's heritage is Bosnian, so of course she makes that version. Here's some video of her stretching the dough.


After that, it needs to be spread out on the table.

Of course, I was too stupid to get a shot of the final product. No, I'm being too harsh. I was too hungry to get a shot of the final product, so this is the picture from the Wikipedia site. Trust me - ours looked quite like it.

I've mentioned that each week we have a different group of students over for dinner. Kim usually prepares something special. It's a real challenge, though, because she has t contend with the different students' food allergies, likes and dislikes. She also has to contend with things not being quite the same here. For example, here's last night's dinner bunch:

From the left, Katrina's from Northern Mich, Caroline's from Oregon, Kim of course, and Clark and Adam from Ball State. Adam has been pining for American food (his mouth waters and the mention of a Big Mac), so Kim prepared barbeque, complete with homemade buns. Couldn't have her "standard" salad because two people had nut allergies that precluded the toasted almonds, so she had to make a different one.

The week prior, we had Callie(Oregon), Audrey (Ball State), Andrew (Oregon) and Whitney (Ball State). We've made it to the end of the meal, where Kim had made Coke cake with real whipped cream (courtesy of the beater she bought). We've been having a lot of artichoke appetizer - it must be in season because it's reasonably priced and fresh.

The faculty member gets hired not the spouse, but these overseas programs should not overlook the value of a spouse who wants to be involved. Kim commits an awful lot of time (and expense) to preparing these meals. She makes an appetizer, first course, second course, salad and dessert. Others probably don't put in as much effort as she does, but they still spend time easing the transition for students in other ways.

Class today, then Assisi tomorrow.

1 comment:

Dom said...

I thought I would leave Dom's first comment. I do have different shirts (not many) but this one is good for cooking as it has mid sleeves and I don't have to keep pushing them up while cooking. Other than taking mainly pictures with me in the same shirt you are doing a good job. I love you. Kim