Tuesday, January 15, 2008

First things first: a correction. I reported previously that Kim and Angelica rode together to the mall. I need to apologize to Kim, who skillfully asked at the bus station, in Italian, for the correct bus, the correct time, and the correct stop. It was not until she arrived at the mall that she ran into Angelica. She got there completely on her own devices, using only Italian, and I did not give her her due. My sincerest apologies.

Today was my first day teaching class since mid-December. I really did miss it, and was thrilled to be "back in the saddle." Admittedly, the saddle is made of Italian leather and is thousands of miles away, but nonetheless... I showed the first episode of "Jamie Oliver's Italy" (a Travel Channel show that ran a couple of years ago) and plan to show more. From 10 pre-registered, 17 showed up for today's class. They must've heard it was easy (or maybe, because it's about food). After I told them the expectations, we'll see how many show on Thursday.













Internet is extremely important to the students, and so much has happened since I was here in 2002. Back then, students had to go to the University computer center to get online. Now, AHA has it available for them in a lab open 7 hours daily. On the left is the wireless lab, where students bring their own laptops (amazing how many travel with them). On the right is the lab with 8 PCs they can use. Many of them blog, facebook their latest pictures and Skype with their friends and family back home. Changes have been dramatic in just last last few years.

Today was Jenny's 21st birthday, so all the students went out to a local Chinese restaurant (go figure). I should say all but one. Evan, who is doing a home stay, is with his family. I think he really just wanted an excuse to stay home and watch the Juventus soccer game on TV (Juve won, 5-3). I'm including a link to Evan's blog in the sidebar of links on the right, if you want his take on things.

I panned the students at Jenny's celebratory dinner. They're a nice bunch of young people.

No comments: